Forum

What are you currently playing?

Video games, right?

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Jader7777 » Mar 8th, 2017

I am really enjoying breath of the wild. The combat is very good and the AI can be pretty clever.

Citizen avatar
Jader7777
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Stu » Mar 13th, 2017

It looks very Metal Gear Solid.
Citizen avatar
Stu
Lieutenant (junior grade)

Postby ArctheLad » Mar 28th, 2017

I can't stand damage based physics like that, thanks for showing me that, now I know I'm going to be skipping it.
Citizen avatar
ArctheLad
Lieutenant

Postby Mooneyhan » May 30th, 2017

Stu wrote:It looks here is sizegenetics Metal Gear Solid.

That's a good thing for me because I love MGS.
Last edited by Mooneyhan on Oct 29th, 2017, edited 2 times in total.
Citizen avatar
Mooneyhan

Postby Muffing » Jul 31st, 2017

I recently rerun Portal 2, great game btw if you never played it. Trying out new mobas since im bored of DOTA 2m hope the TI hypes me up to play more good Dots :\
I became part of the gaming community at the age of 5, my dad played the game called Zapper:one wicked cricket.
Now i play games myself, but still remember how much fun i had as a kid watching cricket jump and jump over and over again :D
Citizen avatar
Muffing

Postby IndieSent » Aug 2nd, 2017

I actually just started finishing Amnesia: The Dark Descent since I picked it up 3 years ago. I know, I know, "Dude why are you so late?" Guys I tip toe to the finishing line, ok? I'm a good number of hours into it and I think I'm almost done. What do I think so far? Meh. It probably doesn't help that over the years the fanboys have been hyping this up to be unarguably the scariest game of all time and if you don't think so you're either:

A] An unfeeling machine
B] Not playing under the right circumstances
C] Not letting the game scare you
D] A neanderthal that prefers primal fear over a slow-burning, cerebral, psych out :|

Whelp to put some of these to rest. I'm not (A) because I'm the guy who cried at the end of Marley & Me, I don't fit under (B) either as I approach all horror games the same way the first time: Sundown, lights out. headphones in (if I'm on PC), all alone and my surroundings absolutely filtered. Even with all this the game never once really got under my skin. It did admittedly have some decent atmosphere and made me jump twice. Still I hate when people pretend that Amnesia is the only game that plays on the Lovecraftian law that is "fear of the unknown" When I bring up the fact that White Day, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Call of Cthulhu, System Shock 2, Forbidden Siren, Sanitarium and Hellnight however all scared me on some level, I'm usually just told that those games aren't scary and Amnesia is, DEAL WITH IT. Lol okay... I'm not (C) In fact I don't know how anyone can not let the game scare them unless they're intentionally going out of their way to reduce the atmosphere as much as possible and since I'm playing under the circumstances that I am now, I don't see that as possible. I also feel it should be a horror games job to seduce its audience. I'm liking Amnesia for its story and okay atmosphere but nothing else really. I'm not even going to bother addressing (D) lol.

So yeah. Am I the only one here who feels this way about this game? :fuzh:
"I don't know who I am. I don't even know what I am! All I know is all I do is die!!"
Citizen avatar
IndieSent

Postby princessbianca » Aug 2nd, 2017

I've not sat down and played Amnesia myself, but I watched a ton of playthroughs back in the day. Seems good for the time, but it's probably the game that ruined the horror genre (this game and Slender), since every horror game since has tried to imitate it and has been unable to recreate the magic (even the devs themselves if the reaction to Machine for Pigs is anything to go by). It became a "Let's Play" magnet and that's what the horror genre is nowadays.
But the game itself at least seems good/ original by the standards of it's time, but it's harder than ever to make games scary nowadays (doesn't help that noone's really trying).

Also the "Letting the game scare you" thing has to be the one of the silliest things I've heard in a while; if you have to let it scare you, then it's not scary. Letting yourself get scared is for try-hard youtubers and streamers.

So verdict from me is game is good for what it is, but it's so overhyped and has been imitated to death since it's release, invoking what TV Tropes like's to call "Seinfeld is unfunny"
Citizen avatar
princessbianca
Ensign

Postby IndieSent » Aug 6th, 2017

princessbianca wrote:I've not sat down and played Amnesia myself, but I watched a ton of playthroughs back in the day. Seems good for the time, but it's probably the game that ruined the horror genre (this game and Slender), since every horror game since has tried to imitate it and has been unable to recreate the magic (even the devs themselves if the reaction to Machine for Pigs is anything to go by). It became a "Let's Play" magnet and that's what the horror genre is nowadays.
But the game itself at least seems good/ original by the standards of it's time, but it's harder than ever to make games scary nowadays (doesn't help that noone's really trying).

Also the "Letting the game scare you" thing has to be the one of the silliest things I've heard in a while; if you have to let it scare you, then it's not scary. Letting yourself get scared is for try-hard youtubers and streamers.

So verdict from me is game is good for what it is, but it's so overhyped and has been imitated to death since it's release, invoking what TV Tropes like's to call "Seinfeld is unfunny"
Funny enough I remember a lot of them immediately dismissing the opinions of people that say they watch a walkthrough/playthrough because they apparently need to be the ones behind the keyboard to have a legible opinion on any level. Of course I do see what they mean as watching something isn't quite as effective as experiencing it for yourself, but aside for some scattered notes and hiding spots, Amnesia isn't that dense of a game imho. It's sad to say that I'm usually very skeptical of any first person indie made horror game since most of them are samey and have about as much depth as a Styrofoam cup (of course me being open minded has led to some nice gems like SOMA). It has indeed become a bit of a checklist to be like Amnesia and Slender and I really wish that would stop. There are so many ways to create horror and fans need to understand doing it the same way over and over makes it tired. Much like your point with Machine for Pigs, sometimes catching lightning in a bottle doesn't happen twice. I think I can name a few lets players that I actually enjoy on both hands and have fingers to spare. Most just seem like bad advertisement :hulett: Glad you agree with me on the whole letting it scare you thing. Every time I see that argument I just think about that part of trshe Downpour review where :fuzh: starts screaming when a Screamer jumps on Murphy's back.

With this all said, I do still like the game of course. Now that I've finished it I can say, good story, good atmosphere and there actually were some chilling moments that admittedly got to me. Just wish it weren't so overrated by the fanboys who seem to go out and attack other series to build their own up. I guess the concept of liking more than one is lost to some of them, eh? :sabin:

7/10
"I don't know who I am. I don't even know what I am! All I know is all I do is die!!"
Citizen avatar
IndieSent

Slime rancher

Postby Mortsoul » Aug 8th, 2017

I'm forty years old what is wrong with me! wait do not answer that. :boo:
"Its always brightest before the power gives out and everyone starts screaming"
Citizen avatar
Mortsoul

Postby Versiris » Aug 9th, 2017

Gigantic! It's pretty fun, it's a free MOBA with a great art style. The content is a little lacking at the moment but it just launched, I expect it to get better as time goes on. :heart:
Citizen avatar
Versiris
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Games

Online Citizens

Citizens browsing this forum: No registered citizens and 1 visitor